Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt?

3 posters

Go down

A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt? Empty A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt?

Post by ScooterPhile Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 pm

According to Ingrid's (2003 Burgman 400) owner's manual, you are supposed to replace the "drive V-belt" at 14,500 miles. I must admit I don't even know what this is, so I have no idea how critical it is. Is this really important to do, or is this one of those things that doesn' have to be done precisely at this mileage marker? Has anyone done it? How did it go? (Don't worry. It wouldn't be me doing the actual work.) Any input/advice here would be appreciated. I still have about 1500 miles to go, but I am trying to plan ahead.

Thanks,

Karryll

ScooterPhile

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt? Empty Re: A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt?

Post by llrdhsktr Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:42 pm

Karryll: The V-belt is the drive belt that transfers your engine speed to your rear wheel. It's akin to the chain on a bicycle. It's a critical part of Ingrid's drivetrain, as it is subject to wear and breakage, so the suggested replacement after the specified miles. It doesn't have to be replaced precisely at that mileage though. It's not gonna disintegrate after 14,500 miles if you don't replace it exactly at that point. To get at it, it does take a bit of work. This link is from the Burgman forum. It may not be a 2003 model he's working on, but it should be similar for Ingrid; http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23549
Good Luck and see you at the next ride!
llrdhsktr
llrdhsktr

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt? Empty V Belt

Post by Bonnie Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Karryll, I am a firm believer in changing out the V belt. I put in a Kevlar belt at 14K and the ride was so much smoother at low speeds. I had a slight vibration at about 15-25 mph. That totally disappeared when I put in the kevlar belt. It is worth the money to change it near the interval time rather than taking a chance and getting stranded somewhere. Bonnie
Bonnie
Bonnie

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt? Empty Re: A question about the Burgman's drive V-belt?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down