Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lack of input

+2
CaptJohn
Bonnie
6 posters

Go down

Lack of input Empty Lack of input

Post by Bonnie Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:30 am

Has anyone else noticed the drop off of messages since we have gone to this new site? It seems as though there are fewer people posting. Just my observation, Bonnie
Bonnie
Bonnie

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Lack of input Empty Re: Lack of input

Post by CaptJohn Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Yes, I have noticed that, and I think it's because all postings aren't located in the same place for all to see. You have to jump from heading to heading to read all the postings OR you can use the "Portal", which is what I do and is how I located your posting.

The Yahoo format is everything "at a glance", while on this site, you have to dedicate some time to find and read everything that is new.
CaptJohn
CaptJohn

Number of posts : 104

http://www.firstgiving.com/CaptJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Bonnie,

There are a bit fewer posts here but if everyone would go to the "Portal" page you will see the last 10 posts. I always go to the "Portal" page first so I know what has been posted.
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Number of posts : 230

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:23 pm

The other (Yahoo) site was a bit more casual, and often would contain quick "reply" posts containing just a few words. This site's more modular and organized, and consequently, more formal, dare I say. It's better, though. I also use the Portal to stay updated on fresh posts on a daily basis. Plus, it's much easier to send a PM to someone on this site. I haven't said this yet, but thanks Jeff, for setting everything up. I'm sure it was, and continues to be, quite a bit of work.

See everyone this Sunday.

Kevin
Modesto, CA
Kevin
Kevin

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Lack of input Empty old site/new site

Post by gtrlarry Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:17 am

I have mixed feelings regarding this new site-The old site was easier to use at a glance and easy to get used to...but this new site has more to offer, and the more you get used to it, the more you can do and the easier it gets. I liked the looks of the old site, but it doesn't do what this one can. So there, now you have my very confusing feelings... confused
gtrlarry
gtrlarry

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom H Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Larry:

I feel your confusion. Smile

By the way, rather than using the "Portal" I use the "postings since last visit" link and work my way through. It's not as efficient as the old Yahoo way, because I just downloaded my email into my email client, filtered it into folders like the one for BAMR and it maintained them as "threaded' posts so I could easily follow them.

But, as you say, this new site has many features that the old one didn't.
Tom H
Tom H

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:39 pm

All,

If you go to the top of the page, right under Tom's feet, you will see a "7 day posts" link. If you click on that you will see all of the posts for the last 7 days. If you click on one of those posts you will be taken to that topic. Scott is working on the email issue now, and it is working for me, so I don't know if it is for all yet. But the 7 day post gives more posts right away than the old Yahoo site. Also, if people don't want to post there isn't a site in the world that will make them. The first thing I do is go to the "7day post" to see all of the posts.
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom H Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Jeff:

Just to set the record straight: I'm certainly not about to complain about the new website.

You do a great job as our moderator and you needn't consider any of the above as criticism.

The work you do for us is greatly appreciated!
Tom H
Tom H

Back to top Go down

Post by gtrlarry Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:07 am

Jeff, you have done a great job with this new site, and I'm now used to it...especially with the big pic on the home page, I missed that! So now I am now officially happy and content with this new site, used to it also...did we used to have an old site before this one? hmmmm...can't remember....
gtrlarry
gtrlarry

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 am

Tom,

I hope I didn't come off wrong with thinking you, or others, were complaining but I was just wondering how the site would limit input. But thanks Tom and Larry for the compliment but Scott has a lot to do with it too. He really figured out a neat way to give email notifications.

Scott, you may want to go to the "Free Support Forum", with the link at the bottom, and tell them what you did. You may really make some people happy there.

Thanks,
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom H Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Jeff:

You didn't come off wrong at all. I'm just a little selfish. I didn't want you to think we were a bunch of whiners who didn't appreciate your (and Scotts!) hard work on this. After all, you could tell us to take a flying leap and then where would we be? Rolling Eyes

I've been a member of a few forums for a while and also a few, informal groups not internet related. I've learned a few things from these:

1) It's always easier to criticize than it is to offer constructive suggestions and, God forbid, actual help, and;
2) In any group, 10% of the membership will do 90% of the actual work to hold it all together. That's just the way it is.
Tom H
Tom H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum