Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

introducing the Smrfmobile

5 posters

Go down

introducing the Smrfmobile Empty introducing the Smrfmobile

Post by Smrf Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Ok, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to upload the bigger, better pics of the Smrfmobile...so you'll have to do with my avatar or visit my website, see link in sig file below.

I bought my Piaggio MP3 250ie in late July and finally got him back on October 18 with my Tow-Pac, Inc trike kit added. YES, now he's a pentacycle! I could go into a long ramble about why I added it but I'll wait til someone here asks, those on ModernVespa already know.

Anyways, I've had him back for almost two weeks and put 550 miles and am looking forward to group rides with peeps from the forum.

Ok, so I couldn't get my sig file on here either to save my life... http://smrfcop.com/smrfmobile.html
Smrf
Smrf

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

introducing the Smrfmobile Empty Re: introducing the Smrfmobile

Post by igniter3 Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Great vehicle.... lots of green tie into.
Hope to see it in one of this day....
igniter3
igniter3

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.hmongline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:01 am

Smrf,

Welcome and nice looking bike. Hopefully you can join us on our next ride this month. But I just have to ask Why? It looks great and how does it handle with four wheels?
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scottj1119 Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Smrf,

Welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing that bike in person!

Did you have to send it off to someone for the towpac installation? How does it steer? Can you still lean on the turns?

Hope to see ya on the ride this month!

Scott
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

introducing the Smrfmobile Empty answers

Post by Smrf Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 am

Ok, long story short I bought the MP3 not knowing I would have issues and eventually get the Tow-Pac, Inc. minitrike kit.

Reasons WHY:

1. I am short with a very short inseam (26" vs 31" seat)
2. disabilities including tendonitis in both arms, bad back, etc makes holding up bike up when stopping VERY hard

Answers to other questions...no it no longer leans, it steers like a freeway legal ATV.

It is not on four wheels...it's a PENTACYCLE...the MP3 has two in front and one in back stock...the minitrike kit is not a conversion there is no permanent change to the scoot and it can be taken off with the removal of 5 bolts in a few minutes and re-installed as easily.

Tow-Pac does not have a authorized dealer in CA so I had it installed at a local scoot shop.

I'm looking forward to meeting other riders and am open to questions.

I'll be at the Vespa Club of Los Gatos/South Bay scooterists first Sunday of the month ride if anyone is interested and am looking for other group riding opportunities.
Smrf
Smrf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptJohn Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 pm

Welcome to our club. I recently sold my MP3 250, which was probably the best handling bike I ever owned. That being said, I'm the proud owner of a Burgman 650, now. Though it doesn't handle a well in the tight twisties, it is a complete joy in the sweepers and when travelling at altitude. With its ABS braking system, stops are as worry free and fast as they were on my MP3.

I look forward to meeting you on an upcoming ride, and checking out your conversion!
CaptJohn
CaptJohn

Number of posts : 104

http://www.firstgiving.com/CaptJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Smrf Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks. Weren't or aren't you on Modern Vespa too??

So how come you sold the mp3 and got the Burgman vs buying a mp3 400 or 500??

CaptJohn wrote:Welcome to our club. I recently sold my MP3 250, which was probably the best handling bike I ever owned. That being said, I'm the proud owner of a Burgman 650, now. Though it doesn't handle a well in the tight twisties, it is a complete joy in the sweepers and when travelling at altitude. With its ABS braking system, stops are as worry free and fast as they were on my MP3.

I look forward to meeting you on an upcoming ride, and checking out your conversion!
Smrf
Smrf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptJohn Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:29 am

In 11 months, I rode my MP3 over 7,000 miles; and found that the seating position was a bit cramped for me on long rides (200+ mile days). In addition, the 250cc engine was a little underpowered when traversing long upgrades e.g. the Altamount Pass, Sierra Foothills in/around Auburn, Forest Hill, etc.

I was considering the MP3 400 or 500, but unfortunately they didn't do anything to expand the seating position, which remained to cramped for my 6'3" frame. I bought an Aprilia Atlantic 500 and rode it 3,000 miles this Summer, including 2 trips over the Sierras to Reno and Gardnerville. Even after doing some simple mods to the AA500, I found its passing power in the mountains non existent, while my Burgman 650 riding companions on both occasions had no problem with power when at altitude. In fact on my trip to Reno, the Burgman 650 rider was packing double and still had more power in reserve then I did on my AA500.

Though much of my riding is with this group, I still ride with my motorcycle club, and find the Burgman 650 able to be able to "keep up" with the Harleys and BMW's. The MP3 is a fine scooter, and if I'd been under 5'10" and weighed less then 200 pounds, I'd be riding an MP3 500 right now; however as I mentioned, I'm 6'3", weigh 260 pounds and have a 34" inseam, which makes all 3 MP3's a tight fit for me.

Oh, yes, I'm on ModernVespa and have been since December 2006. I still use my wife's MP3 for short around town errands.
CaptJohn
CaptJohn

Number of posts : 104

http://www.firstgiving.com/CaptJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:29 pm

I noticed that when I bought my Silver Wing that there is much more power and acceleration than the Majesty I had. The Majesty is a great scoot and did great and it was very comfortable and smooth, but when going up the mountains you can really feel the difference between the 400 cc single cylinder and the 600 twin cylinder. It just makes it easier going up mountains either by yourself or 2 up. I have never needed more power for any reason with the SWing, although I did install the J. Costa which gives it more acceleration. The J. Costa on the SWing is probably similar to the Burgman 650 in terms of the additional power you get. I still made many of journeys with the Majesty and it did a great job and it still impresses me what it can do with 400cc's. I was amazed at the difference in power between the Reflex and the Majesty.
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: