Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Also from Sebastopol

5 posters

Go down

Also from Sebastopol Empty Also from Sebastopol

Post by Debbie Wiegmann Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 pm

I am also from Sebastopol. Just found this group. I am getting ready to buy a new scooter. I have a Aprilia Scarabeo 150 but want something bigger so have been researching the Burgman 650 Exe. My husband rides a Harley and I want to be able keep up and also be able to go on the Highway. Any pros and Cons on the Burgman 650 or 400?
Debbie Wiegmann
Debbie Wiegmann

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-30

http://www.snipinichorseproducts.com

Back to top Go down

Also from Sebastopol Empty Re: Also from Sebastopol

Post by Greg470 Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Debbie,

I just bought a 2007 Burgman 400 in July and have about 1600 mi on it since then. Two things - first the stock windshield is small and if you are tall enough to look over the top, it is very windy and loud on the highway. A lot of folks go to a Taller Givi shield which will cost you about $160 but is very quiet since you are looking through the shield and the wind goes over your helmet.

Second the 3 finger clutch on the 2007 Burgy 400 has been a common problem but was solved in 2008. There is an upgrade or you can replace it with a Malossi clutch for around $500. If you buy used do not buy anything prior to 2007 - different engine and very expensive maintenance.

The biggest difference that I have seen after months of looking at various magazine articles and websites (ck Burgmanusa.com) is that the 650 is a dual cylinder engine, weighs about 150 lbs more and is more of a highway cruiser than the 400. If you are parking on any hills the 650 can be a beast to move off it's stand. The 400 will do short term day rides on the highway but you will feel the wind push you around a little more than the heavier 650. Both the 400 and 650 will have no problem keeping up with a Harley and will probably be faster off the light than the hog. If most of your travel is single riding and back roads the 400 is more than enough. If you will be doing long trips or two up riding the 650 is bigger and stronger. Cost is a significant factor but you should ride both and decide for yourself. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions that I can answer about the 400.
Greg470
Greg470

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie Wiegmann Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Thank you Greg. I was thinking of the 400.00 because of Price, but I know once I have it I will want the bigger one, so figured might as well but the 650. I am not that tall, so I think the windshield wont be a problem for me. I need to make sure I can reach the ground on the 650. I know the 400 fits great. I will keep you posted on what I get. I am trying to see if they are coming out with a 2009 model before I make the plunge.
Debbie Wiegmann
Debbie Wiegmann

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 pm

Debbie,

Welcome to the group and I hope you can make some rides with us. As far as the 400 or 650 is concerned they will both get you anywhere you want to go. I had the Reflex (250cc), Majesty (400cc), and have the Silver Wing (600cc) now so I know the 400 and 650 will do what you want. I have never riden a Burgman but the 650 will more than keep up with the Harley's and will be more comfortable on long rides.

The Majesty I had was very comfortable but the Silver Wing is easier on your body for long rides. It is heavier, more stable, and smoother. The engine is also mounted to the frame which I think makes the ride smoother. If you do plan on long rides it would probably be easier on your body with the 650. If you find the 650 a bit too big you may want to try the Silver Wing, unless you want a Burgman.

There are many Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Aprillia owners here so I hope they will chime in too. Again, welcome.
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie Wiegmann Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:13 pm

I looked at the Silver Wing, liked it also, something about the Burgman 650 is calling me. I love my Aprilia but had a flat tire this past weekend up in Reno, we were up there for the Street Vibrations, and nobody carried my Aprilia tire size, all had to order it. So decided I want to get a Scoot with more dealers around, and more power for longer rides. Thanks for all the help, will post pics as soon as I get the new Scoot, going shopping this weekend.
Debbie Wiegmann
Debbie Wiegmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom H Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:35 am

Debbie:

Welcome.

The PO of my Burg 650 purchased a set of tires to keep around, "just in case". He said our tires were not that easy to find either and he didn't want to wait to order one if he needed it.

I slathered them in a rubber protectorant and put them in my garage up off the floor. There is a common idiom going around right now that you shouldn't use any tire, no matter the condition that is six or more years old. But, I figure with storage out of sunlight, protectorant to keep the ozone at bay and, my own analysis of the inside and outside condition when I go to use them, it's safe. I've done this with car tires before and have been fine. On the other hand, I've had slightly used but quite old tires with lots of tread left let go on my when heated on the highway without warning at least twice in my life. The difference was those were on a seldom driven vehicle and were exposed to sunlight and air without any protection.

I'm guessing that in the case of my Burgman, the spare tires will be going on long before they reach six years old.
Tom H
Tom H

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie Wiegmann Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:43 am

Yes my husband said as soon as the dealer finds my tire for my Aprilia we are ordering another one to keep as a spare. No fun being out of town and no availalbe dealer around. Suzuki dealer here in Santa Rosa says they have no problems getting parts or tires. I cant wait to get the Suzuki. I take it you are enjoying your Burgman?
Debbie Wiegmann
Debbie Wiegmann

Back to top Go down

Post by sam_I_yam Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:11 am

Hi Debbie! When we were at the winery and you spoke about getting a bigger scoot, I didn't realize you meant so soon! Have you tried out a Yamaha Majesty 400 yet? I admit, I'm biased. :-)

See you soon,
Sam
sam_I_yam
sam_I_yam

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down