Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday ride, two passes?

3 posters

Go down

Sunday ride, two passes? Empty Sunday ride, two passes?

Post by scottj1119 Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Anyone interested in a "two passes" ride on Sunday? The temps are supposed to be in the low 80's ( I know, very cool compared to the last few days ) and it's a long weekend, so...

The proposed route would be to go over Sonora pass on Highway 108 and then return over Ebbetts pass on Highway 4. The round trip mileage from/to Tracy would be about 350 miles and estimated at about 7 1/2 hours of ride time. It wouldn't be a race, so frequent breaks would be required to keep it from being too draining.

This will also help me to build my stamina for a future Iron Butt 1K run that I want to do. I want to get the certificate as well as the rear license plate ring. It will take a while to get the stamina built up, so I need to get going...
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Sunday ride, two passes? Empty Re: Sunday ride, two passes?

Post by silverwilly Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Wow..What a Journey. Sounds good, unfortunately I have other commitments..@(*!^!%-...
I would have joined you as I have not toured much in that part of Cali.
Have a safe ride.
silverwilly
silverwilly

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptJohn Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Scott:

You've put together quite a nice ride, which Gene & I will be taking next week on the way to the Blue Knigts "Eastern Sierra Ride & Celebration". We'll be riding over the Sonora Pass, staying at Topaz Lake for a couple of days, but we have not decided which way we'll be heading home, yet!
CaptJohn
CaptJohn

Number of posts : 104

http://www.firstgiving.com/CaptJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by scottj1119 Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Schedule change, I'll be going tomorrow morning early.
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scottj1119 Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Well, this turned into a "three passes" ride for the price of two...

I left this morning at 7:20 and headed up 108 to Sonora pass. Once over Sonora Pass, I went north on 395 to pick up 89 and over to highway 4. What I didn't know before I started was that 89 crosses Monitor Pass, so that was a freebie. Then on Highway 4, up and over Ebbetts Pass. I've got pics of each pass monument.

The drive up 108 was very nice, except for the sun angle in my eyes for about the first hour. Note to self: Eastbound routes need to be done before the sun rises. The temperatures were great and it was a very easy ride with good road conditions and fresh air.

I got to 395 about 11:00 and stopped for lunch at a park in Topaz at about 11:30. It started to get windy on 395, so I pushed on to try to get out of it and back to Highway 4 as soon as I could. When I finally got onto 89, it looked like a moon scape. There must have been a severe fire there in recent years or something. All of the hillsides were barren and it literally looked like the moon.

20 miles later, I picked up Highway 4 westbound....what a treat! This is one of the most scenic rides I've been on in a while. Beautiful mountain lakes, mountains and cool, fresh air. It was great! The eastern portion is single lane road for quite a few miles, but just needed to take it easy and keep the eyes open. The road surface was good. Once I came down from the pass and got into Angels Camp, the temps went up a lot. A few miles later, I had to stop again to put on my evap cooling vest and neck scarf.

So, here are the statistics:

Total distance covered: 360 miles
Total time: 8.5 hours
Average speed: 42 mph
Total fuel: 7 gallons
Average MPG: 51
Number of stops: 4 ( 2 gas and 2 breaks )

So, with an eye toward the goal of a 1K Iron Butt run sometime, the pace today with all of the stops, etc... would put it just over 1,000 miles in 24 hours. So, I think I have a better feeling for the pace, frequency of stops, etc... to complete it. One thing's for sure, I'll definately need a riding partner...who's up for it?
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptJohn Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:52 pm

Scott:

From the guys I've talked to about doing your first "Saddle Sore 1000", pick an easy route e.g. Cover most of your ground on Hwy 5 and other major throughways. You'll be able to cover 1,000 miles, fairly quickly, without the extra fatique of negotiating the twisties! After you get the 1st 1,000 under your vest, you can challenge yourself with more technical roads.
CaptJohn
CaptJohn

Number of posts : 104

http://www.firstgiving.com/CaptJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by scottj1119 Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:37 pm

Just posted the pics from all of the passes in my personal gallery if you'd like to see!
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down