Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scooter crash

3 posters

Go down

scooter crash Empty scooter crash

Post by oldfart@36 Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:46 pm

I found this today on the Maxi Scooters site and just thought I would pass it along. From what I understand he is recovering and I know people were sending donations to the family as he apparently is self employed. I will post that info in case people wish to help him out.

Mike

Subject: Kevin Sent: Aug 14, 2008 - 02:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi...this is Kevin's wife, Diane. He wanted me to contact you and let you know that he went down today. He's hurt really bad. He got into about 3-4 feet of gravel on a curve, spun around, went into a ditch, through an electric wire fence and hit a 6-8" in diameter pole straight on, breaking it off. He was ejected from the bike, flipped and rolled several times. His Scarabeo 500 is totaled...the front is clear back under the seat. His helmet saved his life. He has a fractured spine and worse, his left leg is totally mangled. He has massive breaks. The lower part, the bones are crushed into lots of pieces. Below his kneecap, something broke loose and is now on top of his kneecap. The top of his leg is separated from the bottom, with broken tendons and ligaments, busted cartilage and several broken bones. They airlifted him to the UofL University Hospital, where the trauma team is supposed to be one of the best in the country. He will be hospitalized for at least a week. He will have two surgeries tomorrow (Thursday)or Friday. They are extensive surgeries, so they have to split the repair in two parts. He will have plates, pins, screws, etc for life. He is in traction now. He will lose the ability to straighten his leg by at least 10% and will lose 5-15% ability to bend the knee. At this point, they plan to treat the fractured spine with a firm back brace for quite awhile, but could require surgery. He is lucky to be alive. He cannot put weight on his leg for 2 months and cannot begin to work toward normal activities for 4 months. If the surgery is successful, if he heals properly and if he does everything he is supposed to do (and nothing he's not to do) he will walk again, however will have a limp. The hospital just called and said his lab work just showed his H&H is very low due to losing too much blood, so they are doing a blood transfusion. Not to worry you, but Kevin did want me to let you know what had happened. Prayers and healing thoughts are appreciated. Take care and ride safe. Diane Kemble
oldfart@36
oldfart@36

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

scooter crash Empty donation info

Post by oldfart@36 Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Here is the web site to donate if you wish.

http://riderassistance.chipin.com/kevin-kemble-emergency-fund

Mike
oldfart@36
oldfart@36

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

scooter crash Empty Re: scooter crash

Post by scottj1119 Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 pm

Mike,

Is this the Kevin from our group?

Scott
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

scooter crash Empty Re: Kevin Kemble from Louisville KY

Post by tinsburg400 Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:21 am

Here's the link to the forum where this came from - http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5105&start=0
tinsburg400
tinsburg400

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by scottj1119 Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am

Sorry to hear about that and wish him and his family well.

ATGATT folks!
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfart@36 Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:58 am

Scott,

No this guy is from Kentuky.