Bay Area Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Rio Vista

+2
scottj1119
TeeMon
6 posters

Go down

Hello from Rio Vista Empty Hello from Rio Vista

Post by TeeMon Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:17 am

Hi - I'm Tony and I live in Rio Vista. I belonged to the previous group and decided to join this one. I have yet to make a group ride but maybe someday I will. Now that I'm retired, I prefer to ride on weekdays. And circumstances permitting, I like to go on overnite rides to places like Mammoth Lakes and Ft Bragg.

Also, I am still trying to adjust to my new 08 Burg 400 which I bought at the end of March. I traded in my 04 Silverwing (mistake) and I sure miss it. Hope to see you all soon.
TeeMon
TeeMon

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Hello from Rio Vista Empty Re: Hello from Rio Vista

Post by scottj1119 Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Tony,

Welcome, glad you made it here!

I think that we have a number of riders that also are available and like to ride during the weekdays...unfortunately, I'm not one of them yet.

So, how many miles do you have on your 400? What do you miss most about your Silverwing?

Scott
scottj1119
scottj1119
Admin

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptJohn Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Welcome, Tony! I missed you on the Blue Knights "Ride to Locke", last month; but maybe I can twist your arm for a future ride. My next big ride will be the "Blue Butt Rally" on the weekend of August 16th, sponsored by the Blue Knights NV II Chapter.

I've invited everyone on this board to attend, and hope you'll be one of the attendees. For that ride, I'll forego my MP3 250, and opt to ride my Aprilia Atlantic 500!
CaptJohn
CaptJohn

Number of posts : 104

http://www.firstgiving.com/CaptJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeMon Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:42 pm

Scott,

What I miss most about my Silverwing is the immediate power and smoothness right from stop and it continues on and on. Also, on the highway and especially the freeway or Interstate, there was always power on tap to accelerate around big rigs, etc. The B400 is not smooth at the start and has to be wound up slightly to get it going. And it doesn't have the power of the SWing when I'm on a freeway or I-5.

Also, the SWing was more composed than the B400 is while riding during higher winds, like you find on SR-12, 160, and I-5, which I frequently ride on. And the SWing requires less frequent maintenance and it is easier to add accessories to it than the B400. The SWing's craftsmanship is also better than the B400's is - the various parts fit better.

But one big reason that I bought the B400 is it's lighter weight. It is so much easier for me to push or paddle it around than the SWing was. I have a bad back so the lighter weight is very important to me.

Capt John: Thanks for the invite - hopefully, I can make it to the Blue Knights event. I recently found my original BK VII patch - the large one that goes on the back of a vest/jacket. So I will hang on to it in case I decide to re-join the BK group.
TeeMon
TeeMon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi Tony,

I don't think we've met. I joined BAMR a few months ago and have only been on a handful of rides with them. I know what you're saying about the weight of the big scooters: I feel all 500+ lbs of my Burgman when I'm pushing it around in my garage. But it's a great ride and I don't see myself selling it for a while.

Well, hope to meet you on a future ride. There'll be about 7 or 8 of us heading to Santa Cruz on the 19th. Maybe we'll see you then.

Kevin
Modesto, CA
Kevin
Kevin

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffR Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:02 am

Hey Tony,

Welcome to this site. I hope you enjoy it and you should be able to find others here to do some day rides. I know you really liked your Silver Wing and hope you enjoy your B400 too. I know they must be different bikes but I hope you enjoy it. Try to join us sometime on a ride or maybe just show up for breakfast if you can't ride. I think you would like us as a group.

Take care,

JeffR
JeffR
JeffR
Admin

Number of posts : 230

http://bamr.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gtrlarry Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Hey Tony! I'm not retired but often dream about it...hehehe...Welcome to the club. I hurt my back once back in 1975, and it still to this day kicks in at times and makes things difficult...sometimes I'm fine, and other times it's hard to stand up..depends on what I'm doing, or did! So I am very familiar with bad backs. I think 95% of us have or had back problems, and what is alarming is, many of this percentage is young people. I think people need to be made well aware of taking care of your back...but then again, if they never experienced that pain, they will not really listen....I didn't, but I do now!! See you on a ride soon my friend....Larry
gtrlarry
gtrlarry

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeMon Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Larry,

Thanks for you note and for the nice welcome.

My bad back problem developed suddenly and violently. I suffered a traumatic injury to my low back while on duty as a police officer. After the surgery my law enforcement career ended.

But when I see friends and relatives lifting or bending improperly or otherwise doing something unhealthy to their backs, I feel compelled to let them know to lift or use their backs correctly.

My back pain is ever present and it often affects my ability to things that I would like to do, like ride. I hope to meet you and join you on a ride soon too.
TeeMon
TeeMon

Back to top Go down

Hello from Rio Vista Empty Tony

Post by gtrlarry Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:38 pm

So sorry to hear the double whammy on you...First, you hurt your back, then you have to leave the force. Sometimes things happens when we least expect it, or plan on it. So it literally changed your whole life! Is there anytime that you are without pain, or is it just constant...sometimes worse than others? I hope you are able to ride soon...maybe there will be a short ride which might be perfect...so not too long in the old saddle. Any who, best of luck to you and we'll see you on a ride soon I hope. Take care...
gtrlarry
gtrlarry

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum